Review – No Mush Today

Title:  No Mush Today

Author:  Sally Derby

Illustrator:  Nicole Tadgell

Review Copy Provided by:  Publisher (Lee & Low)

Summary from Book Jacket:  Nonie’s had enough!  Enough mushy mush for breakfast.  Enough of her baby brother’s crying.  So off she goes to live at Grandma’s house.  No mush or baby there.  Grandma attends to Nonie.  Grandma takes her out inot the world of grown-ups.  After a day away from home, will Nonie reconsider her move?  Maybe…maybe…if she can make a deal about breakfast!

My Review:  I enjoyed this book.  It is short and simple.  Who hasn’t had their oldest child, because of a younger sibling, want to run away?  I think it is something that every older sibling goes through.  Now that the new baby is here, some of the attention is gone.  That is how Nonie feels.  Plus, she is tired of having mush for breakfast.  Things will be better at Grandma’s (next door).  Or will they?  Children will relate to this story.  I like the fact that the story is about an African American family.  We need to expose children to all cultures and books is one way to do that.  Children also need to see other children like them in books, and Lee & Low does this so well with the titles they choose to publish.  I love how the illustrator uses facial expressions to show Nonie’s feelings.  As you read, you notice these even though the author doesn’t tell you how Nonie feels.  This adds so much to the story.  Young children will love this story for it’s illustrations, and it’s message.  Things may be better somewhere else, but home is the best place to be.

3 thoughts on “Review – No Mush Today

1. I thought this book was cute and well-done. It portrayed an African-American family, but isn’t a books about issues – other than kids need a break from the folks sometimes. I like the illustrations too.

2. Sounds like a good book. I am always on the lookout for books to help children deal with a new baby. Another one that worked with my daughter is Baby on the Way as part of the Dr. Sears library. It helped a lot.

3. This came to me, from the author, via email.
    Dear Shelly, I am so glad you liked “No Mush Today,” and I thank you for taking the time to review it. You closed your review with “home is the best place to be,” and that’s a message I’d like both children and parents to take with them. As a parent, I know what a responsibility and an honor it is to try to make a home that feels that way to your children. Thanks so much, and happy reading, Sally Derby